Retreat 1970s-'80s New York City club / WED 8-31-11 / Victim in Camus's Stranger / 1922 Physics Nobelist / Reindeer herder
Wednesday, August 31, 2011
["Did you mean 'define amorous'?" No, I didn't]
- One dedicated to love, especially sexual love.
- One who writes about love.
- 10A: With 64-Across, 1963 Beach Boys hit ("IN MY / ROOM")
- 17A: 1965 Beach Boys hit ("CALIFORNIA GIRLS")
- 23A: With 49-Across, 1965 Beach Boys hit ("HELP ME / RHONDA")
- 57A: 1963 Beach Boys hit ("LITTLE SAINT NICK") — did anyone else try to make LITTLE DEUCE COUPE fit? What about LITTLE SURFER GIRL? (not the actual title, I know) Bah!
- 7D: With 30- and 53-Down, 1964 Beach Boys hit ("DON'T / WORRY / BABY")
- 1A: Reindeer herder (LAPP) — a gimme! Finally, this crosswordy answer has become a gimme. I didn't even trip on the "LAPP or LEPP" issue (an issue I invented, as LEPP is not a thing).
- 34A: 1922 Physics Nobelist (BOHR) — his name came up at dinner tonight as we were discussing crosswordy words that every constant solver just Knows. The conversation started with a discussion of EDINA (where my wife bought many bras this past week) (I'll let her tell you about it).
- 52A: Minor player, so to speak (COG) — I like this clue / answer pair a lot. I just didn't get it ... until I did. That "C" took a while.
- 27A: ___ Retreat (1970s-'80s New York City club) (PLATO'S) — really, Really surprised this passed the old Breakfast Test (it's a very famous swingers' club). About as good a clue as you're going to see for PLATO'S. Way better than ["___ Republic"].
Signed, Rex Parker, King of CrossWorld